Monday 2 November 2009

William Pye & The Guerrilla Knitters.

Above: The Curlicue, by William Pye. Greenland Dock. Steel Sculpture.




The Curlicue, being knitted over by Mark Thomas; from the Observer.
I used to live near this sculpture by William Pye. It’s in Greenland Dock opposite Canary Wharf; on the south side of river. If I needed to give directions to my house, I would just say, “It’s near the giant metal paperclip”. It isn’t of course a giant paperclip. I never really knew what it was, or even if I could find any redeeming features. The name tells us it’s just a few twists and curls. It would be fair to say, I felt the same way about the Curlicue as I did about the view I had of Canary Wharf.

So, the guerrilla knitters are busy reclaiming the cityscape, with most inoffensive form of graffiti around. I suggest they cover up Canary Wharf. I’d even offer to help.