Friday 16 October 2009

Ghost of a Dream.

Above- Rug made from used lottery tickets, sratch cards.



"What would you do, if you won the lottery?” ..............

We often ask each other this don’t we? I probe merely to check how much my mates really cherish me. “So, if you won ten million, I’d get one million?" One mate has told me, I’d get free holidays for life and not have to work, but I suspect he’d party on hard without me, considering it was the same friend who said he’d settle for £10,000 and never see me again.

So, the trappings of luxury, a rather swishy house the sports cars, the holidays, the clobber. We get the picture. Surely, we all know though, that money doesn’t make us happy? I think the impact on our mental health and the anxiety it can cause, creates too much unhappiness......we simply don’t need all of that.

Last night I chatted briefly with artists Adam Eckstrom and Lauren Was. They have been working together for 2 years and are now married. Their sculptures are based on the American Dream. They build the pieces with the spent lottery tickets, of losing tickets and cards.

When you are actually up close to around 30,000 used lottery tickets, it’s similar to seeing a mound of 30,000 cigarette butts. Waste of money and bad for your health.