Thursday 4 February 2010

Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen 16th Dec 1775 – 18th Jul 1817.





Above: Illustration from the Richard Bentley edition.
The book was first published in 1813.



I love Jane Austen, I love Lizzie, I love Darcy, I want to be Lizzie, I am Lizzie, as Cathy was Heathcliff. Lizzie is tne protagonist of Pride and Prejudice which is a wartime comedy.

The story is about how she and Fitzwilliam Darcy overcome all obstacles and fall in love. Weep, weep, sob, sob, sigh. So, with Darcy's prejudices and Lizzie's pride let the story begin.......everybody knows how the rest goes, and if you don't shame on you. I love the manners and the dating rules in the 1800's were pretty basic. Parental guidance would've have seen you were hooked up with somebody locally enjoyed a courtship then married off, then having some children. Oh, no career just reading and sewing for the ladies and the obvious domestic chores if you had no maids.


" A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment" Chapter 6.

"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion" Chapter 17

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us"

And the best bit - You know the scene ladies......Silence Darcy? Noooooo, never, not in a million years.I love, I love, I love you.

"You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on"

The End.

Sob.