Monday 8 February 2010

Govinder Nazran. 1964 -2008.




Top: You Are Everything. Giclee On Canvas 23'' x 36''

Above: Bad Boy Cat. Giclee On Canvas 95 edition copies 30'' x 30''

"Many of my paintings are about good and evil – innocence and malevolence. When I was a child I remember believing what a wonderful and happy place the world was. I loved to learn about other people in other countries and wanted to visit them all. Of course, I now realise things aren’t quite as I once imagined, and the once distant places where I so wanted to be are not so far away; they are actually on my doorstep. The people I wanted to meet are locked in a bitter hatred of each other, divided by race or religion. The world is a place where the innocent pay the heaviest price. It affects me deeply. It’s like living in the garden of Good and Evil. I can’t ignore it, so I depict it in the form of these innocent pictures. I leave it to the individual to look at my paintings and choose what they would like to see, innocence or malevolence – the ‘good’ or the ‘evil’!"

Sadly, Govinder passed away aged 44 following an accident on Christmas Eve 2008 in his home in Saltaire, he is best known for paintings and sculptures which feature cats, dogs and elephants.

In 2004 he became the Best Selling Published Artist in the industry's Fine Art Trade Guild Awards.


http://www.govinder.info/index.asp